How do you know if a Taiwanese guy is interested in dating you?
Great question! And one that leaves many foreign women puzzled and confused.
This is a summary of my observations while living and learning Chinese in Taiwan this past year. If a Taiwanese guy says or does three or more of the following, then he’s probably trying to woo you.
- Sends you text messages regularly and says things like, “I’m thinking about you,” or tells you, “Be safe.”
- Gives you small gifts, like cards, trinkets, snacks, books, etc. personalized to your interests and preferences.
- Invites you to meet his family and / or inner circle of best friends.
- Offers to carry your purse.
- Invites you to spend time alone together doing the following activities: movies, dinners, and scenic outdoor nature strolls.
- Insists on paying for all your activities together.
- Initiates touching, like a quick and cordial touch of your hand, shoulder, hair or back.
- Jumps at the chance to help you, like offering to bring you soup if you’re sick, fix your computer, or drive you to the airport.
Any one or two of these things by themselves can be a gesture of friendship. But if a Taiwanese guy is consistently seeking opportunities to contact you and spend time with you, in addition to the above items, he is probably courting you.
If that’s the case, here are 10 things you should know about dating Taiwanese guys.
Happy Valentine’s Day! Subscribe to the blog to get new posts delivered to your inbox. Thanks for reading!